A MESSAGE FROM THE FRIENDS OF SNOWSHOE THOMPSON
I regret to inform you that the traditional Snowshoe Thompson Ski/Snowshoe Tour in Hope valley, scheduled for March 4th, has been cancelled for this year.
The Friends of Snowshoe Thompson committee truly appreciates your participation and support over the years. In the meantime, we are looking for committee members – people who are passionate about preserving the legacy and memory of Jon “Snowshoe Thompson”. It’s not a huge commitment! We have a couple of meetings a year, usually in Genoa; coordinate the Norwegian/US pen pal project; plan and organize the five-yearly celebration in the Mormon Station State Park (next one in 2021); sustain the maintenance of the Snowshoe statue in Genoa; and generally communicate via email. Please let me know if you would be interested in being a part of our committee. Tusen talk!
Sue Knight, Secretary
Friends of Snowshoe Thompson email@example.com
Many thanks to Jill Beede – this must be one of the definitive versions of Snowshoe Thompson’s life and times – see it here!
Friends of Snowshoe Thompson
The magnificent statue of John “Snowshoe” Thompson, which stands in the grounds of the Mormon Station State Park in Genoa, Nevada, was dedicated on June 23, 2001. This statue was made possible with funds raised by the Snowshoe Thompson Committee of the Greater Genoa Business Association. On October 6, 2003, a new nonprofit organization was formed called “Friends of Snowshoe Thompson”.
The purpose of this organization is “To promote and foster the memory of John “Snowshoe” Thompson through events and activities, and to maintain the statue and planter in the Mormon Station State Park.
The mission is “To honor the memory of Snowshoe Thompson in many ways, including promotion of international cooperation between Norwegian and American communities; promotion of connections between American Lutheran Churches and Scandinavian Lutheran Churches; encourage education in the schools about Norwegians in America; hold events supporting these ideals.”
- The officers of the organization are as follows:
- President: Bill Bowersock
- Secretary: Sue Knight
- Treasurer: Loraine Dix
- Director: Ted Tiffany, liaison with the Carson Valley Historical Society
- Director: Nina MacLeod, liaison between Genoa and Norway
- Director: Kerstin Wolle
- Membership dues are waived at this time. Anyone is welcome to be on the membership list and will be notified of meetings and events. To become a member please send contact information to:
- Sue Knight, Friends of Snowshoe Thompson, P.O. Box 605, Genoa, NV, 89411 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- You may use our form on this page if you wish