Friends of Snowshoe Thompson
The magnificent statue of John “Snowshoe” Thompson, which stands in the grounds of the Mormon Station State Park in Genoa, Nevada, was dedicated on June 23, 2001. This statue was made possible with funds raised by the Snowshoe Thompson Committee of the Greater Genoa Business Association. On October 6, 2003, a new nonprofit organization was formed called “Friends of Snowshoe Thompson”.
The purpose of this organization is “To promote and foster the memory of John “Snowshoe” Thompson through events and activities, and to maintain the statue and planter in the Mormon Station State Park.
The mission is “To honor the memory of Snowshoe Thompson in many ways, including promotion of international cooperation between Norwegian and American communities; promotion of connections between American Lutheran Churches and Scandinavian Lutheran Churches; encourage education in the schools about Norwegians in America; hold events supporting these ideals.”
- The officers of the organization are as follows:
- President: Kim Harris
- Secretary: Sue Knight
- Treasurer: Lynne Bowersock
- Director: Ted Tiffany, liaison with the Carson Valley Historical Society
- Director: Nina MacLeod, liaison between Genoa and Norway
- *Membership dues are $10. To become member send $10 and contact information to:
- Sue Knight, Friends of Snowshoe Thompson, P.O. Box 605, Genoa, NV, 89411 or e-mail email@example.com
- You may use our form on this page if you wish
New Books of interest:
“John A “Snowshoe” Thompson – Pioneer Mail Carrier of the Sierra by Frank Tortorich
“50 Years of Flight” – Ski Jumping in California 1900-1950 by Ingrid Wicken
Many thanks to Jill Beede – this must be one of the definitive versions of Snowshoe Thompson’s life and times – see it here!
Sue Knight, Secretary
Friends of Snowshoe Thompson firstname.lastname@example.org :: 775-315-7777